Sunday, September 21, 2008

I break Crumplers

Only as a consequence of being with me - not that I am deliberately setting out to break them - the contents are too valuable for that!
So what to do? Not another Crumpler - sorry, good, but not brilliant. Main gripe is lack of compression straps as closure backup coupled to too much stress on the main zipper. Overload? Who me? - well if it fitted in then it gets carried. Zippers were not up to it -I don't get surprised when a tab breaks off - do get annoyed when the top of the slider comes away. That is not acceptable - playing havoc with my nails! Now the stiffening panel is coming through the back padding; time to retire it.
Alternatives - well spent some time reading up on-line reviews. WTF is the point of writing a review the first day you own something - unless it arrived broken. Oooh, look a shiny thing! Tell me if it still works two years down the line when the shine has gone. I write fair reviews - I praise when praise is due and damn when damnation is deserved. I will not damn Crumpler - not a lifetime purchase, but put up with several years of my life and faired fairly well.
Problem - what to replace it with? Now, in depth reviews indicate that the obvious are not the necessarily the best. Doing what I do for a living I could pick up something SOF Spec with all the problems of getting GSA stuff into the UK. Except the only thing designed for my purposes would cost $500 (or over $600 if I added extra carry pouches and a hydration bladder). And it was not carry-on size even without the pouches and bladder. So I have just ordered something really cheap and reviewed well-$120 vs. $630!
I'll see how Tamrac fairs for now - if it does not work out there is always FPED - and I'll see if Diamondback Tactical will give me show discount on that $630.

No comments: